How Does Production Music Work?

Production Music is music produced in a variety of styles and genres, and is easily cleared and licensed for use in any application. Because it’s non-exclusive, it’s a lower cost option than custom music for most clients while still retaining the high quality of the music you’re looking for.

Production Music can highlight or intensify your vision and strengthen your brand. It is used everywhere and can be found in News broadcasts, TV commercials, TV shows, Radio broadcasts, Movie Trailers, Online videos, Local Television broadcasts, Video Games and more!

News Music Packages are market-exclusive music used by local television stations around the world to sonically brand their News Operations. Our News Music divisions, 615 Music, Gari Music and Non-Stop Music, are leaders in creating News Music Packages globally. News Music Packages are extremely important in establishing a station or station group’s Sonic Brand. Listen to our award-winning News Music and find out more!

Custom Music is original music written or altered especially for a client. Find out more about Custom Music and how Warner/Chappell Production Music can create an original masterpiece just for your project! When you’re ready, give us a call at (888) 615-8729 to get started.

General Information

Great question! We are one of the leading Production Music companies in the world, with over 220,000 tracks spanning over 90 individual Music Catalogs.

We’re here to help and we would love to answer your questions. Visit our Contact Page. Call us, email us at, or fill out our Support form online…no matter what, we’ll get you taken care of quickly and easily!

We have two state-of-the-art recording studios, located in Salt Lake City and Nashville. In addition, we work with talented composers, musicians and producers around the world to get our signature level of quality. Take a look at Our Studios.

No, we are not a royalty-free library, as our composers and writers do receive royalties on their work.

No, Warner/Chappell Production Music’s libraries are “per-use” libraries for license only. We also license tracks or libraries on a yearly or multi-year basis. We can work with any budget.

Of course! Between your Licensing Representative and our two full-time Music Supervisors on staff, we WILL find you the right music for your project!

Yes, we can. We can deliver what you need quickly, effectively and most importantly, creatively, for almost any musical need. See “What Is Custom Music?” above.

Since we pride ourselves on the highest audio quality, we professionally master all of our tracks.

Yes, we do accept composer demos and library discs for consideration. We only accept emails with a link to your music: Please NO music files attached to the email. You may send an email to Our music consultants will listen to your submissions in a timely manner. If your submissions are deemed appropriate for our library, you will be contacted for further information. However, due to the large volume of submissions you will not be contacted otherwise.


A license is the right, granted by the copyright holder, for a given person or entity to use copyrighted work. A license allows you to use a recording of a musical work in conjunction with other audio, video or live elements.

Since music is considered Intellectual Property, a license must be obtained from the owner before music is used for any production.

When a client has a blanket license, this means they can use an unlimited amount of tracks from our libraries for their production (subject to the terms of the agreement they have with us). The fee for this license is usually a flat fee and is based upon numerous different elements such as number of libraries licensed, length of agreement; broadcast vs. non-broadcast, etc.

A “needledrop” is a specific type of license that allows the licensing party to use a piece of music one time in one production, and carry that license for a predetermined amount of time. It’s called a needledrop because it allows you to “drop the needle” (as in records, if you can remember them!) once on your production. Once you change that production in any way, another license is required.

Most likely you will not have to, as that responsibility falls on the cable station, radio, TV or other media outlet on which your project is being broadcast. In some cases, these venues may not have a performance agreement with ASCAP, BMI or SESAC. If this is the case then you may need to obtain a Performance License directly from Warner/Chappell Production Music. Don’t worry, your Director of Licensing can help!

The cost of a license will vary depending on how and where the music is used. For any questions regarding licensing please call (888) 615-8729 to speak to one of our Directors of Licensing.

Contact Us

Didn’t find what you were looking for? No problem!

Fill out the form below to send us an email. We will get back to you as soon as we can!

Your Name (required)

Your Email (required)


Your Message